Sunday, February 25, 2007

These are blocks for a blue and white sampler quilt, so actually, I will only be keeping one of each and sending the others off to my sister Lisa and cousin Norma for their samplers. I had fun making the sailing ships with different batiks. I tried to imitate how the sky can appear to be a deeper blue higher up. I think they look better if you squint at them.

I'm still debating whether to make my sampler only stars, as Lisa is doing, or to just have everything but the kitchen sink, e.g. flight of doves, even maybe a checkerboard.

I'm inclined to make some smaller format blocks and augment them, log cabin style, so they are 10", which would allow for more variety in size of stars, as well as maybe more interesting backgrounds. Actually, this is already what i did with the ship blocks, in case you hadn't noticed. I like the ships better with a bit of water and sky around them.

No comments: